The RICOH THETA X is designed in pursuit of enhanced usability and outstanding quality, this advanced model joins RICOH THETA's series of 360-degree cameras that shoot immersive still images and videos in a single shot and is equipped with many firsts for THETA series: a large touch screen display, interchangeable battery, and external memory card.
The THETA X has a compact, lightweight body that can be easily carried around anywhere and offers high-resolution image quality.The 2.25-inch fullcolor touch screen display makes standalone camera use much easier by reducing the need to connect to a remote control or smartphone app. The THETA X supports use of an interchangeable battery and an external memory card for more efficient and reliable shooting. Smartphone connectivity has also been improved, as the THETA X no longer requires the need to enter an SSID when establishing a Bluetooth connection. The camera also boasts realtime stitching capabilities with stabilization, removing the need to stitch videos, improving the processing time of 360-degree videos on computers drastically.
Large user-friendly 2.25-inch touch screen display
The large, user-friendly 2.25-inch touch screen display significantly improves operability. Preview the scene before image capture, adjust shooting settings and view images you have taken on the touch panel without having to connect to a smartphone.
High-resolution 360-degree still image and video capture
The CMOS image sensor, main processor, and lens design have all been renewed. Incorporating a new sensor with approximately 48MP, it is now possible to capture highresolution 360-degree still images with a maximum output of approximately 60MP. Two image sizes are available to match the scene: 11K for a high-resolution bright-light indoor photography, and 5.5K to capture images easily and efficiently in other scenarios. In addition, enhanced image stabilization realizes vivid and smooth shooting for 360-degree videos to be captured at a 5.7K-equivalent resolution of 5760 × 2880 pixels at 30 frames per second (fps).
Ability to switch battery and memory cards
For the first time in the RICOH THETA series, the THETA X is powered by an interchangeable battery (Rechargeable Battery DB-110). Plus, in addition to the 46GB internal memory, storage capacity can be increased with the use of an external microSDXC memory card. Even when shooting long hours or capturing many images, users can continue shooting without worrying about remaining battery levels or storage capacity.
Increased compatibility with smartphone
The THETA X can easily make a wireless connection to a smartphone without the need to enter an SSID by establishing a Bluetooth connection. Incorporated MIMO* wireless communication technologies and real-time processing, such as top/bottom correction while shooting videos, makes it possible to transfer still images and videos from the camera to a smartphone at higher speeds**.
*Multiple Input Multiple Output technology that communicates using multiple antennas ** Approximately 1.5 times faster compared with the conventional camera RICOH THETA V while shooting 5.5K still images under the same condition according to actual measurements taken by Ricoh.
Improved expandability of the camera
Like the THETA V and THETA Z1, the THETA X utilizes an Android-based OS, allowing third-party developers to develop and release applications (plug-ins) to expand the function of the camera. Additionally, the camera's large touch screen display significantly extends the scope for plug-in development. It is now also possible to easily set up the “client mode” (a mode used to directly connect the RICOH THETA to a wireless router) without using a smartphone. This allows plug-ins to be installed and firmware to be updated simply by operating the THETA X itself without using a computer or smartphone, making it easy to expand functions to suit the user's needs.
- The camera employs magnesium alloy for the body exterior, ensuring robustness and excellent heat dissipating properties.
- With built-in GPS and support for A-GPS function, accurate positional information can be obtained from the device.
- Through the USB Type-C port on the side of the main body, power can be supplied to the camera even during tripod use without using the optional extension adapter.
- Time Shift Shooting mode allows the photographer to capture an image without being in the frame, and continuous shooting mode continuously captures 20 still images per second (when shooting 5.5K still images).
- Incorporates a touch shutter function that allows a photo to be taken by tapping on the touch screen in addition to pressing a shutter button.
- Images can be registered as favorites from the list of images shown on the touch panel display. The images marked as favorites can be viewed on the THETA app on a smartphone.
- Still image playback orientation can be selected in shooting settings. The RICOH THETA X features AI Auto, which utilizes AI recognition technology to identify the subject in images captured and display from that point.
- Exposure compensation and white balance can be adjusted with the camera itself before livestreaming.
- Easily switch between various shooting modes (still image, video, custom settings, livestreaming, plug-in) using only the mode button on the camera.