Approximately 10" in diameter and 1.5" high, the Skimmer's flat bottom allows it to slide and pan easily along the beach or mud without scooping up earth, protecting equipment from grit and moisture. The sides are turned out slightly to push sand and mud out and away, helping to keep debris from coming over the top. A protected area inside the plate can even be used to store teleconverters, extension tubes, and other incidentals for quick access while shooting.
The Skimmer was designed by photographers for photographers to meet our rigorous demands in the field. After years of using various ground supports, we felt the shortcomings were keeping us from our best productivity in the field. Sharp edges on plates would often get caught in the ground and swivel, halting movement, or scoop up sand and dirt - exposing ballheads and other equipment to grit and water and weighing down the plate with accumulating muck. We were constantly replacing lost bolts from plates that didn't have captive screws. Also, as frequent travelers, we are always looking for weight-conservative options - the Skimmer is less than half the weight of some ground pod options. The Skimmer is our field-tested solution!
- Constructed with super heavy duty reinforced crush-proof injection molded plastic
- Roughly 10" diameter, 1.5" tall
- Weighs under 15oz.
- Heat and cold tolerant for use in any conditions
- Integrated raised mounting platform for stability
- Compatible with the Wimberley Head II and low profile lens feet without additional hardware needed
- Standard 3/8 - 16 captive stainless steel bolt, countersunk flush to underside - no more lost bolts
- Hex wrench included
- Optional Wimberley C-10 quick release clamp with locking screw set screw - no ballhead needed
- Reinforced lanyard attachment point for user-supplied clip or lanyard to hang from a belt, attach to a backpack, or for a safety line when shooting out of the car on a beanbag
- Perfect for ground level shooting or off of a beanbag with telephoto lenses
- INCLUDED Hex wrench
- OPTIONAL The Wimberley C-10 quick release clamp - allows you to mount dovetail lens or camera plates. The gimbal-style full Wimberley Head II for the ultimate telephoto lens support The RB-100 riser block provides additional height when desired.